Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: La Cañada HomeCollectionsMarcos Costa
IN THE NEWS

Marcos Costa

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
By Daniel Siegal, daniel.siegal@latimes.com | December 26, 2012
The truck driver convicted of manslaughter after a fatal 2009 collision at the bottom of Angeles Crest Highway in La Cañada Flintridge is taking his case to the court of appeal. Marcos Costa, 46, was sentenced to seven years and four months in prison after his 2011 conviction in the deaths of Palmdale resident Angel Posca, 58, and his 12-year-old daughter, Angelina. His case will be heard by California's 2nd District Court of Appeal on Jan. 29. Angel Posca had exited the 210 to make a left on Angeles Crest Highway on July 1, 2009, when Costa's truck, which had lost its brakes, barreled down Angeles Crest and slammed into the car before striking a building.
NEWS
October 26, 2011
Judge Laura Matz will preside over a hearing today at the Glendale Courthouse that could start to wrap up the civil litigation remaining from the 2009 fatal runaway truck crash on Angeles Crest Highway that took two lives and resulted in the driver, Marcos Costa, being convicted of gross vehicular manslaughter. One of the lawyers involved in the case, who asked not to be named so as not to disturb negotiations, said that a tentative agreement had been reached to give the victim's family $750,000 from Costa's $1 million insurance policy.
NEWS
December 21, 2012
A state appeals court will hear oral arguments next month in the case of the truck driver involved in a fatal 2009 collision on Angeles Crest Highway in La Cañada Flintridge. Marcos Costa, 46, was convicted of vehicular manslaughter and reckless driving in July 2011. Costa was sentenced to seven years and four months in prison. Costa's big rig lost its brakes as he traveled downhill on Angeles Crest Highway on April 1, 2009. The runaway car-hauler sped through the busy intersection at Foothill Boulevard in La Cañada Flintridge and slammed into a vehicle carrying Palmdale residents Angel Posca, 58, and his 12-year-old daughter Angelina, killing them.
NEWS
By Seth Amitin | August 18, 2009
Marcos Costa, the truck driver in the fatal Angeles Crest Highway crash on April 1, appeared Monday for a pretrial hearing at Pasadena Superior Court. Costa, who is accused of killing a man and his daughter after his big-rig lost control, was ordered to return to court Sept. 30 for another pretrial hearing. On April 1, Costa drove down Angeles Crest Highway when the big rig's brakes failed.  The truck ran through the intersection, crashing into cars--including one driven by Jorge Posca and his daughter, Angelina Posca, who were both killed--and through Flintridge Bookstore.
NEWS
January 22, 2013
Marcos Costa, the truck driver convicted of manslaughter in a 2009 fatal Angeles Crest Highway crash, has dropped his appeal, according to his attorney. Costa, 46, was sentenced in 2011 to seven years and four months in prison. Palmdale resident Angel Posca, 58 and his 12-year-old daughter, Angelina, died on July 1, 2000 after Costa's truck, which lost its brakes, slammed into Posca's vehicle. “Mr. Costa wants to put this tragic accident behind him,” said Sally Brajevich, appointed to represent Costa in his appeal.
NEWS
By Joe Piasecki | June 13, 2011
Trial is set to begin on June 20 for the driver charged with murder in the April 2009 Angeles Crest Highway runaway truck crash that killed two people in La Cañada Flintridge. Marcos Costa, 46, appeared for a pretrial hearing Monday in a Los Angeles Superior Courthouse in Pasadena during which attorneys on both sides of the case told Judge Darrell Mavis they were ready to proceed to jury selection next week. “We’re ready to go, and I expect the jury to find Mr. Costa not guilty of all the charges.
NEWS
By Daniel Siegal, daniel.siegal@latimes.com | July 12, 2011
In a day of court shortened by various delays, defense counsel Edward Murphy concluded his examination of defendant Marcos Costa after hours of questioning about the exact details of the runaway truck crash that killed two people in La Cañada Flintridge in April 2009. Murphy asked Costa, 46, on Monday to answer through a Portuguese translator a series of queries about his moment-by-moment recollections of the final descent his truck took down Angeles Crest Highway after its brakes had given out. As during the start of Costa’s testimony last week, Murphy used a video of the highway to illustrate the exact route Costa would have taken as he approached Foothill Boulevard.
NEWS
By Daniel Siegal | July 27, 2011
After nearly a week of deliberations, the jury in the murder case against Marcos Costa, the driver of a brakeless big rig that killed two people in La Cañada in April 2009, retired Wednesday without announcing a verdict. Costa, a Portuguese-speaking Brazilian truck driver who hails from Massachusetts, has testified throughout the five-week trial through a translator that he did everything he could to stop his 25-ton truck after its brakes failed on April 1, 2009 while headed westbound on Angeles Crest Highway.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
By Sara Cardine, sara.cardine@latimes.com | March 26, 2014
On Tuesday, in the absence of fanfare or media attention, La Cañada's tiny Glenola Park will play host to a quiet memorial service as friends and family gather to remember and mourn two of their own, whose lives were tragically cut short five years ago that day. They will recall Angel “Jorge” Posca, 58, and 12-year-old Angelina Posca, lost the evening of April 1, 2009, when a 25-ton car carrier truck traveling south on the Angeles Crest Highway...
Advertisement
NEWS
By Tiffany Kelly, tiffany.kelly@latimes.com | January 23, 2013
Marcos Costa, the big-rig truck driver convicted of manslaughter in a 2009 fatal crash in La Cañada Flintridge, has dropped his appeal, according to his attorney. Costa, 46, was sentenced in 2011 to seven years and four months in prison. Palmdale resident Angel Posca, 58, and his 12-year-old daughter, Angelina, died on April 1, 2009, after Costa's truck, which lost its brakes, slammed into Posca's vehicle on Angeles Crest Highway before crashing into a building on Foothill Boulevard.
NEWS
By Daniel Siegal, daniel.siegal@latimes.com | December 26, 2012
The truck driver convicted of manslaughter after a fatal 2009 collision at the bottom of Angeles Crest Highway in La Cañada Flintridge is taking his case to the court of appeal. Marcos Costa, 46, was sentenced to seven years and four months in prison after his 2011 conviction in the deaths of Palmdale resident Angel Posca, 58, and his 12-year-old daughter, Angelina. His case will be heard by California's 2nd District Court of Appeal on Jan. 29. Angel Posca had exited the 210 to make a left on Angeles Crest Highway on July 1, 2009, when Costa's truck, which had lost its brakes, barreled down Angeles Crest and slammed into the car before striking a building.
NEWS
December 21, 2012
A state appeals court will hear oral arguments next month in the case of the truck driver involved in a fatal 2009 collision on Angeles Crest Highway in La Cañada Flintridge. Marcos Costa, 46, was convicted of vehicular manslaughter and reckless driving in July 2011. Costa was sentenced to seven years and four months in prison. Costa's big rig lost its brakes as he traveled downhill on Angeles Crest Highway on April 1, 2009. The runaway car-hauler sped through the busy intersection at Foothill Boulevard in La Cañada Flintridge and slammed into a vehicle carrying Palmdale residents Angel Posca, 58, and his 12-year-old daughter Angelina, killing them.
NEWS
October 26, 2011
Judge Laura Matz will preside over a hearing today at the Glendale Courthouse that could start to wrap up the civil litigation remaining from the 2009 fatal runaway truck crash on Angeles Crest Highway that took two lives and resulted in the driver, Marcos Costa, being convicted of gross vehicular manslaughter. One of the lawyers involved in the case, who asked not to be named so as not to disturb negotiations, said that a tentative agreement had been reached to give the victim's family $750,000 from Costa's $1 million insurance policy.
NEWS
By Daniel Siegal, daniel.siegal@latimes.com | August 3, 2011
While the memories of the deadly runaway truck collision on the Angeles Crest Highway that killed two, injured several and left a 25-ton big rig sitting inside a local bookstore have begun to fade for some, life will never be the same for the family of the victims. Marcos Costa, the driver of the runaway double-deck car carrier, could end up on probation or serving little to no time after a jury on Friday found him not guilty of second-degree murder. Or he could serve years in prison.
NEWS
By Carol Cormaci | August 2, 2011
We have been waiting anxiously this week - those of us keeping a close eye on the Marcos Costa murder trial - for a verdict in the case of the tragic April 1, 2009 runaway truck crash in La Cañada. As of Wednesday afternoon, no verdict had been rendered. The jury was given quite a task on July 21, weighing all the evidence provided by both sides. It's a testament to the conscientiousness of those serving on the panel that they have taken their time in reaching a decision. The Valley Sun will post on its website the verdict as soon as we learn it. In case you don't already have us bookmarked, you can find the paper at www.lacanadaonline.com.
NEWS
By Daniel Siegal | July 27, 2011
After nearly a week of deliberations, the jury in the murder case against Marcos Costa, the driver of a brakeless big rig that killed two people in La Cañada in April 2009, retired Wednesday without announcing a verdict. Costa, a Portuguese-speaking Brazilian truck driver who hails from Massachusetts, has testified throughout the five-week trial through a translator that he did everything he could to stop his 25-ton truck after its brakes failed on April 1, 2009 while headed westbound on Angeles Crest Highway.
NEWS
By Daniel Siegal, daniel.siegal@latimes.com | July 20, 2011
The fate of the driver charged with murder after his runaway big rig killed a 12-year-old girl and her father in April 2009 in La Cañada Flintridge is in the hands of the jury after attorneys on both sides completed their closing arguments Wednesday afternoon at the Los Angeles County Superior Courthouse in Pasadena. Deputy District Atty. Carolina Lugo told jurors that driver Marcos Costa had acted with willful disregard for human life as he proceeded down Angeles Crest Highway before the brakes on his truck went out and it barreled through Foothill Boulevard, striking several cars and crashing into a bookstore.
La Canada Valley Sun Articles La Canada Valley Sun Articles
|