Advertisement

La Cañada history: Local leaders toured Flint Canyon Channel flood control channel

What happened 10-20-30 years ago?

April 09, 2014
  • La Cañada resident Warren M. Dorn, front, then a member of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors, in the spring of 1964 led a group of civic and governmental dignitaries on an inspection tour of the Flint Canyon Channel, which had been improved from Woodleigh Lane to the Paradise Canyon Channel. The project, part of a countywide plan adopted by the board of supervisors in 1931, carried a price tag of nearly $350,000.
La Cañada resident Warren M. Dorn, front, then a… (File Photo )

Ten Years Ago

Deputies from the Crescenta Valley Sheriff's Station were inviting the public to be generous during their planned April 20, 2004 "Tip-A-Cop" event held at Hill Street Cafe. The law enforcement officials said they would donate all the tips they earned during shifts at the restaurant to benefit the Pasadena chapter of the Special Olympics. The previous year, in their first foray into serving tables for a cause, the local deputies had earned more than $3,000.

Twenty Years Ago

The La Cañada Flintridge City Council established a senior needs assessment committee and gave it 18 months to prepare a report addressing the needs of the city's senior residents.

Thirty Years Ago

Dedicated community volunteers Shirley and Dick DeGrey were honored together as the Kiwanis Club's La Cañadans of the Year during an event held in the spring of 1984.

Forty Years Ago

Norbert Olberz, who observed his 15th year as a sporting goods retailer in April 1974, announced the same month that he had purchased the former Fazio's Shopping Bag market building at 920 Foothill Blvd. and was in the process of turning it into a "gigantic sporting goods center." The building would be called Sport Chalet Sportland. Olberz announced he would continue to operate his other two locations, Sport Chalet and Sport Chalet Divers, along with Sportland.

Advertisement

Fifty Years Ago

Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors Chairman Warren M. Dorn in April 1964 headed a group of civic and governmental dignitaries inspecting the new Flint Canyon Channel flood control improvement, a $347,352 project. The channel was improved from Woodleigh Lane to the Paradise Canyon Channel and was part of a comprehensive flood control plan adopted by the county supervisors in 1931.

Sixty Years Ago

Students in the first through sixth grades who lived on Palm Drive or west of it would be bused to Oak Grove School at the eastern edge of town, it was determined in boundaries adopted by the La Cañada School Board in the spring of 1954. The board was still in the dark as to where a fourth elementary school would be built to serve the growing needs of the community. The three sites then in service included Oak Grove (where Crestview Prep operates today), Paradise Canyon and La Cañada Elementary (then located where Memorial Park is today).

-- Compiled from the Valley Sun archives by Carol Cormaci.

La Canada Valley Sun Articles La Canada Valley Sun Articles
|
|
|